St. George Monastery, Bethlehem region


About
St. George is a 6th century Greek Orthodox monastery situated in Wadi Qelt at the eastern West Bank. It is constructed into the cliffs of the wadi and is occupied by Greek Orthodox monks. The monastery was named after Gorgias of Coziba, a monk from the Greek Orthodox order who has become a significant saint for the Orthodox Christians.

The first monastery was constructed in the latter part of the 5th century by a hermit named John of Thebes. This was later destroyed in 614 by the Persians who conquered the area and executed the fourteen monks that inhabited the monastery. In 1179, the Crusaders tried to rebuild the monastery but it was not completed as they were driven out from the place. In 1878, a Greek monk named Kalinikos began rebuilding the monastery which was finally completed in 1901.

The monastery houses the relics of St. George which is believed to possess some healing powers specifically for mental illnesses. It was said that during the 19th century, St. George Monastery was used as a psychiatric facility for the treatment of mental illnesses through the use of the relics. The site is also revered in Muslim tradition as the location of the teachings of the Muslim prophet named Al Khader.

Facilities
Free parking
Free entrance

Opening Hours
April – September 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM / 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM
•    Saturdays 7:00 AM to 2:00 PM
•    Closed on Sundays

October – March 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM / 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM
•    Saturdays 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM
•    Closed on Sundays